Sunday, April 23, 2006

Battle of the bands

Here is another battle of the bands. It is very simple, you just say which band you like more and it would be great if you could give a reason why you picked the band you did. This time it's two bands who had their prime in the mid 80's, but are still around in some sort of form today. So this time it is:

Ratt vs. Twisted Sister

I pick Twisted Sister. It's actually kind of close, but not as close as it would have been for me 20 years ago. Both were two of the bands I first got into. Twisted Sister's first three albums are really good and still hold up well today. The other two from their original run are just okay. However,I think Twisted Sister have far more spirit and grit to them than Ratt. I have to be in a mood to listen to Ratt, but I could probably listen to Twisted Sister at almost any time. The best thing about Ratt during their first run (81-91) was that they were very consistent. Very few clunkers during that run. Yet I think that the worst thing about Ratt was that they may have played it a bit too safe. When their album sales dropped off, they still kept at the same formula and never took any chances. I think that 20 years later several of Twisted Sister's albums stick out far more than anything Ratt did.

Who do you pick?

10 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I was a big fan of Ratt when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, I've realized that they became cheesy and a little boring. I'd go with TS.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Strutter71 said...

Wow, this is a really tough call. Based purely on how much I played Stay Hungry over and over and over and over again back in the day, I'd have to go with Twisted Sister. You could certainly make a good case for Ratt, though. I think they were both more prolific and consistent.

7:40 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Twisted Sister: Whether as a gigantic nightmare drag queen or a buzzcut crazy man, Dee Snyder stands out in a crowd.

7:46 AM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

Gun to my head; I'd probably pick TS, just because their videos were better.

8:02 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I'm the odd man out here--I find ratt's consistency appealing, while TS too often seemed like a pale imitation of Alice Cooper. I like them both, but I listen to Ratt far more than TS these days.

-- david

10:12 AM  
Blogger T-_Bone said...

I vote Ratt, only for Warren DiMartini's playing. He was a great guitar player who was stuck in the glam world.

1:09 PM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Ratt - good memories tied to their songs.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

The vote so far is 6-4 in favor of Twisted Sister.

7:59 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Although I voted for Ratt, I will admit that there are some Ratt lyrics that rank among the worst in hair metal. For example, I can't defend:

Slip slip, slip of the lip
I like the way you love your hips
Loose lips
Sink ships
The way you move, you don't miss

-- david

4:01 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David- I may very well do a topic or topics on bad metal lyrics soon. I think there were far worse offenders than Ratt though.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home