Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Upcoming albums and predictions.

We are now in the second half of 2006 and there are a few big name bands set to release new albums very soon and a few others set to release albums in the near future. Motorhead, Iron Maiden and Slayer all have releases due out soon. Frankly I am looking forward to all three. I think Motorhead have been pretty hot over the last few releases and I am sure the new album will be good just because of how consistent the band normally is. I am also looking forward to Iron Maiden's new one. I liked the last two releases as they were far better than anything the band churned out in the 90's yet they were just good rather than great. Which means to me that 1988 was probably the last year they did a great album and that was Seventh son of a seventh son. Even though Maiden are legends and I am sure they are still great live, I wonder if they have another great album left in them. Then there is Slayer who may be getting the most hype of the three bands I mentioned. This is partially due to the return of drummer Dave Lombardo and partly due to the controversy that their album title and cover are stirring up. I have to ask the same question about them as I did about Maiden, do they have another great album left in the tank? As with Maiden, I think Slayer's last great album came out in 1988 and that was South of Heaven.
Then you have Metallica whose album may not be out until early next year, but we are already hearing about it. To me their last great album was Master of Puppets in 1986, that's a long time. Megadeth are also supposed to have a new album out at some point. With them I would say the last great album was Rust in peace from 1990.
So which one of these upcoming new albums will be the best? If there is a release that I didn't mention that you think will great then what is it?

8 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I wonder how the born again Mustaine is going to do.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Motorhead: I always look forward to a new Motorhead album. I love the current line-up. I doubt that they will disappoint.

Iron Maiden: Maiden! I can't wait for this one. I have seen Maiden live a few times in the last few years and let me say that their live show is better now than it was in the 80s. No crap. They are still hungry. They were blowing eveyone at Ozzfest off the stage nightly, which was part of the reason that Sharon Osbrone had them egged.

Slayer: I heard a few songs off this CD and it sounds like a Slayer album. It sounds a lot like South of Heaven era.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Fuzz and Ben-I thought the last Megadeth was just okay. It tried to be heavier, but it just sounded like a forced mixture of some of their previous albums. Interviews with Mustaine just make it sound like he cares more about Gigantour than putting out a killer album.

Fred Charles-I think smart money says Motorhead have the best chance of putting out a great album. I liked the last Maiden better than Brave new world so maybe the new one will be an improvement as well. I heard one song off of the new Slayer and I liked it, but it was good not great. However I would bet on Slayer's new one being better than the next albums from Metallica and Megadeth.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. Both Megadeth and Metallica's last two CDs were supposed to be returns to form. Neither of them were that great. I heard a live version of a new Metallica song and it sounded the same as St. Anger type material (long intro, bad lyrics).

I'm not sure what Megadeth are up too. It's hard for me to be a fan of them when Mustaine is having bands kicked off the same bill for being too "satanic". This is METAL we are talking about, right?

8:07 AM  
Blogger T-_Bone said...

I thought Dance of Death was Maiden's second best album ever, and I have high hopes for A Matter of Life and Death.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Fred Charles-Quite honestely without Dave Ellefson in the band I see this as a Dave Mustaine solo band and I doubt he has another Peace Sells or Rust in peace in him.

T-bone-I think Dance of death was the best metal album of 2003. I think the band tried to do some things they hadn't done and it succeeded to some extent.

Webpirate-I doubt any of these bands will release "cutting edge" albums. They have all been at it for 20+years, 30+ for Motorhead. Yet Motorhead are faster and heavier now than at any other point in their career. Maiden are doing more in this decade than they did in the last decade. I think Metallica still have enough power in their name to have real commercial success if the album is good enough. The Seattle grunge stuff knocked metal out of the mainstream limelight, but there has always been underground scene and I think it's bigger now than ten years ago. However if metal ever comes back into the commercial limelight then I think it will younger band do it.

1:03 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I'm really looking forward to Maiden. The others all worry me--I have little confidence anymore in anything Metallica or Megadeth will release. And Slayer hasn't done much for me since South of Heaven, either.

On the lighter side, but still excellent music, I just heard yesterday that Steve Hackett will have a new rock album out in September.

When is the Maiden CD due?

-- david

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a review of the new Slayer posted at www.rollingstone.com . They trashed it. The reviewer seems to be a fan of the band. Just keep in mind that this is the same publication that gave South of Heaven a One Star review.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home