Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Wayne's World 2, 1993

Plot
Jim Morrison comes to Wayne in a dream and urges him to put on a concert in his hometown of Aurora, Illinois. So then Wayne sets outs to do this, but runs into numerous problems along the way.

Cast
Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Tia Carrere, Christopher Walken, Ralph Brown

Musician appearances
Aerosmith and uh.. Jim Morrison, oh wait that wasn't him, just an actor playing him.

The good
If you like the humor in the first film and the SNL skits then you should like this because it's the same style of humor. Christopher Walken was a big step up from Rob Lowe who was in the first film. Tia Carrere seemed far more comfortable here than in the first film. Chris Farley was hilarious in his limited role as Milton the slightly deranged friend trying to learn to be a roadie. The Charlton Heston cameo-good actor/bad actor part was great in large part because I am a big Planet of the apes fan and like Heston. It may just be me, but I loved the fight scene between Wayne and Cassandra's father.

The bad/complaints
When it first came out is just seemed like I would have appreciated it a little more if they had waited longer to do a sequel. I am not sure they needed all of the cameos that were thrown in, it almost feels a bit cluttered. Not as many huge laughs as the first film and I didn't like the soundtrack as well as the first film.
And of course.......
I felt that it was a trifle unnecessary to see the crack in the Indian's bottom. (You have to have seen the film to get this).

3.5 out of 5


Final Word
I think this film is like Airplane 2 in that's good, but so similar in style to the first more popular film that it often gets overlooked. Mike Myers is not a very versatile comedian, but there are enough jokes here that work. I probably saw the first film so many times when it first came out that I am more likely to watch this one now.

***Rock movies week continues with School of rock tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

The first was definitely better but the YMCA part in II was possibly the funniest movie moment ever in my eyes.

11:16 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

You're right, it was a bit cluttered with cameos. But this was one of the better SNL skit-to-movie attempts.

-- david

4:19 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I thought both were funny, guess one measure is to see if people still quote the movie. And yes, as irritating as they are, I know they still do it...

"Exsqueeze me? A baking-powder?"

:)

5:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Honey Horne: I'm going to be frank.

Garth: OK. Can I still be Garth?

Cluttered yes. A good escape from reality? Definitely yes.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Jeff-That was a funny bit.

David-Some of those SNL movie attempts were terrible, but the two WW movies were good.

Onmywatch-They are quotable for sure.

Curare-How about:

Honey Horne: Take me, Garth!

Garth: Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket.

7:19 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

The Charlton Heston cameo was one ot the most awesome cameos of all time.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Fuzz-That part as funny as it has ever been.

Sgt. Fluffy- The only films I saw at the theater that I wish I had my money back for are Pet Semetary 2, Critters 2 and some of those later Friday the 13th movies.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home