Friday, August 24, 2007

AC/DC-Powerage

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Atlantic
1978

This is my favorite AC/DC album and has been for a long time. What, the one with virtually no songs that get played on the radio? Yes, that's right many of the songs here certainly are not known by casual fans. I think this the last of their real raw sounding albums and probably the peak of that sound. Many of the songs seem to begin slow and steady as the band settles into their groove and takes control. Then they guide us through when they are ready and it's a pretty enjoyable ride. Bon Scott seems absolutely relaxed because he is in command and he just takes his time building up the songs. It's not just the beginning of the tracks where the band control the pace, it's also at other times as well. The middle of "Sin City" comes to mind with the slow part where everything winds down to a crawl and all ears are on the direction that the band is leading us. I think this was a level that the band worked it's way up to. "High Voltage" had a number of just decent songs and parts where the band couldn't quite keep a whole song going at a top level. "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" saw this problem subside quite a bit, but there was still a little problem with it. "Let there be rock" certainly had a high energy level, but lacked some variation within the songs. However, Powerage seems to have it all as does the follow-up "Highway to hell", but the band still seems a little hungrier to me on "Powerage". The overall sound of the album is one of a band throwing everything they have at the situation and it's pretty spectacular. Favorite songs here are "Riff raff", "Rock n' roll damnation", "Sin city', "What's next to the moon" and Kicked in the teeth"

***So what's your favorite AC/DC album?

16 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

At least it's better than Back in Black (which is kinda like saying, "At least it's better than falling into a septic tank.")

7:35 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

bob-I have never fallen into a septic tank so I wouldn't know. Chuck's similar comment about Skrewdriver was better than this one. I think you ripped him off too.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Chris Morris said...

If You Want Blood, You Got It.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Fabrulana said...

I must get this one. I heard some of the songs of collections, but don't know them all.

3:36 AM  
Blogger aXe mAn said...

Good review Mark.
My favorite AC/DC album is always a toss up between Back In Black and Highway to Hell.
But, I think they never really put out a bad album.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Beefcake-Thanks for stopping by.

andre-It's a great one.

Axe Man-I think Blow up your video is a bad album.

9:24 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

You and I agree. This one is one of my two favorites, the other being Highway to Hell. Maybe it's because this album doesn't have any hits--it's fresher to me than almost any other album.

-- david

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That album is fantastic. I love AC/DC!

10:45 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I for one am sad to see AC/DC come to a close. It's been a real pleasure beating up on one of the most overrated bands in rock history.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-Highway to hell is a close second.

Jessica-Welcome.

Bob-This week must have been an educational week as you learned that you could be wrong and you learned how to play a new song.

1:07 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Mark - The first part is untrue. I have been the shining example of correct all week on your blog. The second is partially true. I did learn to play "Back in Black," but it was awhile ago. I was trying to decide if it was a bad song or just bad execution on AC/DC's part. The verdict's still out.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Bob-You are a legend in your own mind.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Fabrulana said...

I am sure all will be interested (especially bob - as he would have to buy up all stock) in the following

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/article/?id=46983

Columbia Records will release "Plug Me In" — the ultimate career-spanning DVD box set of live performances, interviews and more from AC/DC, the world's most electrifying rock and roll band — on Tuesday, October 16.

5:13 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

October 16, a day that will live in infamy. I'd rather have a box of blank DVDs. At least I could put something worthwhile on them.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Bob obviously pre-ordered his set.

6:24 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I have always thought that Powerage was a much overlooked album. Nice to see you give it some due. I would have to say my favorite was High Voltage.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home