Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Glasspack-Dirty Women

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Small Stone
2007


The Glasspack hail from Louisville, Kentucky and they are churning out a rather high-energy brand of music. They attempt to combine large doses of heavy, fuzzed out riffs with a punk rock pace and attitude. Really it boils down to being a bit of a mixed bag, but leaning more towards the positive side. I love the guitar sound as hits me head on has me thinking of psychedelic late 60’s pre-metal mayhem and early 1980’s punk rock at the same time. However a huge chunk of the band’s energy seems to be in say the first minute or so of each song. After the energy level drops some as many tracks just settle into being repetitive and they seem to be waiting for the song to end. Also the vocals are terribly low and I tried playing it on different players hoping one of them would help, but it didn’t. To me this type of music needs some aggressive vocals to compliment it. Unfortunately, the vocals tend to be muddled and difficult to hear so they sort of rob the overall sound of some of the energy that it could have had. That might actually be intentional, I really don’t know. I think they control the pace and have somewhat of a handle on a slightly unique guitar sound. Still they really need put more into it and find a way to make the tracks a little more interesting if they hope to be more than moderately entertaining. Certainly above average and they have some potential so I hope they keep reaching and pushing for the next time they record.

3 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

The mix of 60s psyche and 80s punk sounds right up my alley.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

You might like this more than I did. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

1:05 PM  
Blogger The Lone Beader® said...

I love this album cover:)

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home