Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ninth Moon Black interview

Photobucket

Ninth Moon Black hail from Eugene, Oregon and have an album due out soon. I recently interviewed guitarist Erin to find out more about the band and their upcoming release.

MM-How and when did this band form?
Erin-The first stage of this band was formed in 2003 in Fresno (lemoore to be exact) Ca. I was learning how to do my own demos and decided on the name at that point for the project. It was very different from what we do now, more simplistic, a little industrial. However Caleb and I had been talking years before about doing something like this, but we were both pretty busy in our other bands at the time, Ahisma, and Fuck God in the Face,. Fast forward a little bit, I moved back to Oregon and Caleb wasn't doing anything at the time musically so we started working with our original lineup. This is our second.


MM-You have an album coming out soon on Forgotten Empire records. Does it have a title and how would you describe the music?
Erin-At present time, self titled, and I would describe it as dark, ambient, metal. We're really aren't that metal, but we're not pop by any means, so I guess that will work.

MM-Why should someone buy your record?
Erin-Good question. To take a chance on something a little different I guess. We are an instrumental band, nothing new, and we use video for live shows, also nothing new, but we are four people doing our own thing. For me personally I don't listen to a lot of new music, or bands that sound anything like us for the simple reason I like to have a clean slate when I write, no outside influence. I mean as much as possible. So I think we have a unique sound that is easy to connect, and relax to.

MM-What was the most difficult aspect of recording your album? What was the most enjoyable part about recording it?
Erin-There were no major difficulties at all. Josh Alderson is a really easy engineer to work with. This is our third time with him, and each time he learns a little bit more about what we are going for. Most enjoyable aside from hearing progress each time we mixed would be the studio it self, Dogwood. It's in the woods so it's very peaceful.

MM-Who came up with your band name and what does it mean?
Erin-I came up with the name, and I wish I could say there is some deep meaning behind it, but it just came to me one day. Maybe it has meaning on a sub-conscious level.

MM-Where do you get the inspirations for your song topics?
Erin-Since there are no vocals, there is no specific topic. You can draw you own conclusion. Whatever you feel from our music, that's what right for you. It can vary from person to person. Like reading a book.

MM-You have a tour coming up in March with label mates Blackwaves. How psyched are you about that and what expectations do you have about the tour?
Erin-Extremely excited! this will be their first time in the states (I think), so we want to show them a good time, with good shows. No expectations other than fun.

Photobucket

MM-What should someone who comes to one of your shows expect? Do you play any cover songs live?
Erin-No cover songs yet. Our set runs continuous for 35-40 minutes so, I don't know, hopefully people will enjoy the atmosphere we are trying to create.

MM-What is your band doing that sets you apart from others?
Erin-I think we are combining many styles of music. Obviously we don't sound like '50s surf music, but my clean guitar tone is influenced by that style of music. My guitar playing in general is influenced by surf music. Fast picking, reverb, delay and so on. Combine that with heavy bass, atmospheric keys/ samples, and steady drum lines, and I guess you have a Link Wray/ Pink Floyd sort of metal. If that makes sense.

MM-What is the music scene like where you are at? Any great unsigned bands we should be aware of?
Erin-I don't get out much, but there are a lot of good bands in this area so I would say overall the scene is good. I wish there were more all ages places for the younger crowd but you can't have everything. Bands, to name a few would be: Middian (presently unsigned), Deosyll, Happy Bastards, On the First day...they were Kittens, Traitor Hearts, Fuck God in the Face was awesome, but they are long gone. There are a lot of others, but I can't think right now.

MM-What do you hope to accomplish in 2008?
Erin-Well, we hope this tour goes well in march for us and Blackwaves. After that we are gonna work on writing a new album to record in the summer, and maybe tour at the end of summer again. I think everyone wants to do as much as we can get away with. Write, tour, meet new people, and just get our stuff out there. We do hope to go to Germany soon and tour with the Blackwaves, so 2008 could be very busy. I know I hope so.

MM-If you could only listen to five different albums for the next month, what would they be and why?
Erin-I really couldn't say. I really like the bands on our label, so maybe some of those. Middian (age eternal), is heavy as hell and we wish them the best with their legal issues. Sorry, I don't think I could narrow it down, it's day to day for me.

MM-Is there anything else that you want to say about your band or your music?
Erin-Only that we're doing what we do because we have to, there is no choice, so we hope you enjoy it.

http://www.myspace.com/ninthmoonblack

Thanks to Erin for doing the interview.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home