Wednesday, March 24, 2010

New Wave of British Heavy Metal questions

The New Wave of British Heavy Metal scene or NWOBHM had a huge impact on the metal scene. Not all of the bands were quality acts, but plenty were and all of the new ideas that came forth influenced another generation. Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Saxon, Venom, Raven, Tank and Witchfinder General were just a few of the more well known bands to emerge from from that secne. The energy and ideas that these bands brought is still being felt today. So here are a few questions dealing with that scene and feel free to add reasons for your choices.

The most underrated band of the NWOBHM was _______________.

The most overrated band of the NWOBHM was ________________.

The top band of the NWOBHM scene that I have never heard, but would like to is _________________.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most underrated band of the NWOBHM was Persian Risk.

The most overrated band of the NWOBHM was Raven.

The top band of the NWOBHM scene that I have never heard, but would like to is Pagan Alter.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Magpie said...

Underrated? Toss up between Tokyo Blade and Mama's Boyz

Overrated? Probably Venom. Or maybe Girlschool

Hmmmm....Possibly Atomkraft, who I read a lot about at the time but never got to hear.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Underrated-Satan

Overrated-Samson

Never heard, but want to hear-
Witchfynde

2:54 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

After reading the above I have never heard Persian Risk, Pagan Alter or Atomkraft so I add those to my list.

Magpie-I see you have Venom as overrated and I find that interesting because I have often read about Atomkraft's sound being compared to them.

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

witchfynde was cool.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Rhodeislandrock said...

Underrated - Tokyo Blade, Tank, Maineeaxe, Tygers Of Pan Tang and Def Leppard (based on their first 2 albums only, those were great NWOBHM).

Overrated - Angel Witch

Never heard but would like to - Pagan Alter, Desolation Angels, Witchfynde

9:52 AM  
Blogger Mighty High said...

Underrated - Tank.

Overrated - gotta agree with Samson.

There's tons I've never heard but the ones I'm still curious about are Satan and Persian Risk.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Old post but I thought I would comment especially after seeing someone posted Angel Witch as being overrated!

The most underrated bands are Tokyo Blade, Persian Risk, Maineeaxe, Satan, Satanic Rites Angel Witch, Crucifixion and Cloven Hoof.

Overrated is most certainly Venom. While Welcome To Hell get's a lot of praise (and even I admit that even though I like it it is sloppy and cheesy) it was horribly played and produced.

I have never heard more than a song or two by Hellanbach and would like to check them out properly. Also, Sabre and Satan's Empire.

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home