Sunday, September 26, 2010

Psycho Choke-Unraveling chaos

Photobucket

7 Hard
2010

I've had this one sitting amongst my stack of "to be reviewed" discs for a while now. Honestly the band name and album cover made me hesitant to rip it open, but I try to get around to reviewing all that is sent to me. So with that last thought in mind I gave this disc a shot. Actually it turned out to be a pleasant surprise to some extent. This is modern metalcore owing much to Korn and Trivium. They focus on volume and spine pounding beats which is all typical of the genre, but on occasion they veer away from that path and twist in some real grooves. That's what sets them apart a little from the pack. Unfortunately there just isn't enough of it to make the whole album anything special. Inevitably they fall into the trap of playing the kind of metalcore that you have heard before. Even though they start out fierce I have often found that this style fizzles a bit and I have trouble staying glued to it for the duration of a whole song. Now as I mentioned above Psycho Choke do make strides to mix it up and add their own spin on the style. I just wish there was more of it. As it stands "Unraveling Chaos" is a better album than I figured, but I think that this band could be even better if they keep working at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home