Monday, November 22, 2010

Ross the boss-Hailstorm

Photobucket


AFM
2010



So strap on your armor, slip on your gauntlets, and grab your weapon because former Manowar axe slinger Ross the Boss has returned with his second solo album. Actually despite the cover and most of the lyrics "Hailstorm" is a slight departure from 2008's "New Metal Leader". "New Metal Leader" didn't fall from Manowar's path, but the new album has less anthems than you may expect and falls closer to early 1980's classic style metal plus a few nods to more recent power metal. That was very surprising to me given Ross the boss' history and his last album. In fact on the go around I felt like I was need of cleaning my ears out before giving the disc a second go around. Everything seemed a little less in your face than I was figuring on as I was expecting marching armies, war cries and pounding hammers. Instead it was a bit more like a regular metal band trying to figure out what they were doing. Don't get me wrong the playing is strong because Ross the boss always has plenty of riffs to spare. I think there was a definite attempt to reach stretch the musical horizons some this time around. They pull off most of the songs, but there are a few where you are going to want to skip past. Diehard fans of Manowar and Ross the boss might be startled at first and it will likely take a few plays to warm up to it and you may have to crank the volume a little, but there is enough here to enjoy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Maundering mutterer said...

Hmmmmm... do I want startling? Maybe if I pretend its got nothing to do with Man o war whatsoever...

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home