Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Forgotten Gems: War Babies-s/t

Photobucket
Columbia
1992

I remember seeing an ad for this album back in 1992. I took one look at them, figured they were G-n-R wannabees and forgot about them for years. Then some 15 years later I found out that this band featured former TKO frontman Brad Sinsel. That fact peaked my interest enough to pick up a copy for under $2. I slipped in the player and promptly had my socks knocked off. The sound in a heavy blues rock along the lines of Tesla and Asphalt Ballet with some AC/DC mixed in. The album includes hard stompin' tracks like opener "Hang me up", "Killing Time" and "Sweetwater" plus some smooth slower ones like "Cry yourself to sleep" and "Blue Tomorrow". The bottom line is that the band handles all of those styles with the same amount of confidence and skills. The production gets high marks too, but the real star of the show is Brad Sinsel. His voice is slightly deeper here than when he was with TKO. I guess that came with age as this album was done some six years after the last TKO album, but that deepness only adds to the quality of his voice. Quite honestly he steps it up and delivers a totally impressive performance. He hits every note with feeling and force. It's a shame I missed this one 19 years ago and it's also a shame that this was their one and only release, but it's sure worth tracking down. You will be playing this one over and over for sure.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I don't think I've ever heard the band so I'll have to check them out for sure.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Metallschaedel said...

I've bought this cd when it came out and I'm still fan of it. just awesome sound .

2:12 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Brad Sinsel is awesome. TKO's "In Your Face" was and is a metal classic. Brad's stint in Warbabies was a welcome treat.
Wish he'd get back to singing in a band...

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a "hidden gem" to me. Thanks for pulling this one out... I'll be on the lookout for it.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Michael I totally agree about "In Your Face". What a killer album!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Andy-I think you'll dig them.

Roger-It's solid for sure.

Michael-I agree, he's awesome. Always heard he was a great frontman live too.

Stone-Get a copy to you soon.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home