Friday, August 12, 2011

RIP JANI LANE





Ex- Warrant front man Jani Lane (born John Kennedy Oswald, February 1, 1964 – August 11, 2011) was found dead on Thursday in a hotel room in Woodland Hills, California at the young age of 47. While I have been critical in the past when it came to Warrant there is no doubt that their brand of pop metal made an impact. The band crafted hard rock/heavy metal that caught on thanks in no small part to it's catchy nature. Jani Lane was a huge part of their popularity and during his heyday he was a more than capable front man. He left the world way to early and he will be missed by a generation that was brought up on the "Down Boys".

4 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

It's not really a shock, but it's sad nonetheless. This guy could never get his life together after hair metal went out of style.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I agree with Beckye. This was no surprise. I am no fan of Warrant and have voiced that view many times on this blog and Jani's death will not keep me from continuing to give Warrant what they deserve. He left behind a legacy of being partially responsible for some of the worst hair metal to date. It is a shame that he died at 47 because that is way to young an age to die, but again it came as no shock to me.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I was not surprised either by his death as he lived a rough life (of his own choosing). As I said I am not a fan, but Warrant did make an impact for better or worse. I actually like the current Warrant album although it sounds nothing like thier old stuff.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I always think of Jani Lane on the Warrant Behind the Music special saying, "Hi, we're Warrant and we single-handedly destroyed heavy metal!" Bon Jovi before them, but I admired the moxy of that statement. I too never liked Warrant's music very much though I had a terrific chat with later guitarist Billy Morris who was very down to earth. I think Jani's "I Saw Red" acoustic shot on the VH1 Metal Mania Stripped was actually quite good, considering. RIP, Jani, too bad the legacy isn't what it might've been.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home