Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dexter Ward-Neon Lights

Iron On Iron
2011


Where have these guys been all my life? If there is such a thing as pure heavy metal then "Neon Lights" fits that bill. This Greek heavy metal band were formed in 2009 and took their name from a character in a novel written by HP Lovecraft in 1927. Dexter Ward features members who spent time in Battleroar where they obviously honed their skills. When I first stumbled across this album (on a blog I frequent quite often-Stay Heavy) I did a quick search on the band to see what I could dig up. I was quite surprised that no one seems to have reviewed the album even though it seems to have made the rounds on various free-share sites. Needless to say this is rather weird considering how straight up this album is in regards to classic heavy metal. Sure there are bits and pieces of speed metal and power metal typical of new retro worship bands. Not that I would place Dexter Ward into a retro-loving category though. No, their sound is modern and doesn't just come across as a new version of an old classic. Instead "Neon Lights" is classic heavy metal for 2011. The production is spot on and the playing is professional without morphing into neo-classical worship. I've tried thinking up bands to compare Dexter Ward to. The best examples would be bands like Culprit or Cites although there is more of a almost European flavor to the act. Maybe take Culprit, Cites and similar traditional metal bands like Metal Church and add some Iron Maiden and Judas Priest? Even then Dexter Ward don't work quite like that. Maybe some references to cult eighties bands like Phantom and Ray Gunn are in order? Either way "Neon Lights" is refreshing heavy metal and an album I'm so glad to have found. I've already listened to it several times over and thank the heavens that modern metal hasn't killed these sort of bands off.

3 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

Oh, I liked Battleroar so I may be interested in these guys. The cover looks like it's from 1982 and I mean that in a good way. On an a slightly related note the Vincent Price film "The Haunted Palace" was loosely based on Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward".

6:21 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

What is also interesting is the fact that one of the teaser tracks for the new album had scenes from the fil the Warriors. These guys truly seem wrapped up in the ages.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's Mark the Dexter Ward singer and I want to thank you on behalf of the band for the great words and comments about the album. This review really made my day. Andy it seems we are on the same wavelenght when it comes to heavy metal 80s style. I wish you and Mark all the best because you guys rock and keep alive an oasis of heavy metal wiseness in a desert of bullshit! ROCK ON!

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home