Monday, July 16, 2012

Ichabod Crane-Rot Your Brain

Self-Release
2012

I remember I used to have this mix tape back in high school (or maybe college) with a cover of "Our Lips Are Sealed" (Blondie) by this punk/hardcore band. Man, I wish I still had that tape. For the life of me I can't recall the band's name. I mention this as way of an introduction to state the fact that not only do I love eclectic cover choices, but I love Blondie. So, with a band that I happy to get all warm and fuzzy about (Ichabod Crane) opening up their new EP with a cover of "Call Me" well, that makes for a hell of a good time my friends. "Grease Lightning" (Grease") done up hardcore/death metal style is also beyond epic folks. All of the tracks on this EP are
covers except for the excellent track "Huddled Masses." The lone original number sounds as if it has been performed by a horde of raging heavy metal demons. If it was not for the fact that that I can see their smiling faces I would be half tempted to think that "Huddled Masses" was assembled in a secret lab somewhere with the ultimate goal being nothing less then the enslavement of the human race! For a local band these lads lay down some of the sickest and most vile riffs imaginable. Thrash, hardcore and death metal always make for a wicked cocktail anyway so for Ichabod Crane to create something that sounds like C.O.C., Slayer and Megadeth all doing shots together with Satan that says something. It's interesting to note that these lads can take a track like "Plowed" (Sponge) and not only make it their own, but make it sound like the most METAL THING EVER is epic with a capital "E"! Of course, nothing beats hearing a hardcore thrash version of the Saved by the Bell theme. What a way to finish off this (way too short) killer EP. It's truly a shame that I am late to the game when it comes to this Ohio act because this is another case of a local band that sounds better then a good chunk of the music that comes through my inbox these days. You can find out more about the band at their Facebook page and according to band member Scott the EP will be a "pay what you want" download on the band's bandcamp page after the release show which is coming up this week if I am not mistaken.

http://metalmark.blogspot.com/search?q=Ichabod+Crane-Brimstone (Review of the band's excellent album "Brimstone")

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home