Monday, September 17, 2012

Set Free-Set Free

Eulogy Recordings
2012


I have so many questions. Too many questions really. Is it rock (where iTunes has it filed) or metal (filed there as well) or hardcore (not real hardcore, but the new league of hardcore)? Do they get extra points for wearing their faith on their sleeves or will that (no pun intended) damn their intentions? And my final question is why did I download this? That is the big question at hand. I know I was pulled in by the number "A Force to Reckon With", but why/when I downloaded the rest of the album is more of a mystery. Such is the ultimate penalty for checking out new releases while indulging in "a" glass of wine and a zombie flick ("Juan Of the Dead" which I hope to review before the end of the week as well) at the same time. It is (as they say) what it is and here we find ourselves with Florida based melodic "spirit filled" hardcore band Set Free. Formerly known as A Hope for Tomorrow this four-piece band are skating thin ice with their self-titled debut album. By that I mean genre wise. Is this sort of melodic hardcore (with "all that jazz' mixed in for effect) played out or does Set Free actually have a chance to stake claim to being better then the bulk of the bunch? I'll say this about Set Free. They have the talent. Excellent bands like this that have the crazy skills to pull of tasty, riff-filled hardcore explosions and then just stop on a dime are deadly serious. These cats can play. You also have to give props to any band that utilizes hardcore growls and clean vocals (here me out first as I know it isn't new!) and has, dare I say, great options in place for both. Their "clean" singer can actually sing. As in "carry a melody" sing. You don't see that very often in these sort of bands and for that I must say good job guys. Obviously your waiting for the hammer to drop down and here it is: not much about Set Free actually blows my socks off. Really it doesn't even tug on my socks. Here we see another band (or rather here we hear another band) that, in small doses, sounds especially inspired. But, with these same sort of groups the hole package tends to suffer when you listen all the way through. "Believers" (featuring Daniel McWhorter of Gideon) is a slick way to open an album and there are good moments like "Go", "Search and Destroy" and "Strung Out", but as a whole album this one gets an "A" for effort and "C+" for effectiveness.




Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home